If you (like my Mother) purchased a monster of a Turkey this Christmas and cannot push another fork-full of Bubble and Squeak passed your lips and into your christmas-crammed stomachs, then here is a new way to use up those last bits of cold turkey cuts. If you’re sick to death of turkey by now, do not fear, the Asian flavours that the turkey shreds soak up in these Spring-Rolls will disguise the taste of plain old Turkey to bring your ageing big-bird a new lease of life!
This recipe is an amalgamation of an AllRecipes Recipe and the recipe within my cookery book that I picked up from my day at the Thai Kitchen Cookery Centre (review to come) in Chiang Mai.
Ingredients (Makes 12)
- 1 cup turkey Finely shredded
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2-3 Tbs Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 Tbs Sesame Oil
- 1 Tspn White Pepper
- Splash of White Vinegar
- 1 Egg yolk
- 12 Spring Roll Wrappers
- 1/4 cup cranberry jelly
- 1 tspn white sugar
- Splash of White Vinegar
- Splash of Soy Sauce
1)Heat the Sesame Oil and Olive Oil in a wok. Lower heat, add in Garlic (keep an eye as it can burn quick) then add the carrots and cabbage. When carrots are starting to soften add in your turkey. Add in your condiments making sure you taste to get the correct sweet to sour ratio.
2) Set aside to cool.
3) Place a spoonful of your mixture onto the middle of a Spring-Roll wrapper. Not too little, not too much, you want to be able to pack your roll tightly but without ripping the paper.
4) Turn your paper so it looks like a diamond (not a square) and fold the left and right points in so that they overlap in the middle.
5) Fold up the bottom point and gently pull the mixture downwards so that it is tightly packed at the bottom. Dab on a small amount of egg yolk to the top point and spread it slightly with the back of a teaspoon. Roll the mixture upwards to make your ‘roll’ shape so that the eggs yolk seals your roll together.
6) Repeat with your remaining 11 sheets.
7) Drizzle the bottom of a baking tray with Olive Oil ensuring it is all covered. Place your Spring Rolls on the tray making sure all sides get covered in the oil. Set Oven to 175 degrees celsius. Bake rolls for 15 mins. Turn them over 1/2 way through.
8) Meanwhile simmer your Cranberry sauce in a pan. Once it has reduced add your sugar, vinegar and soy sauce. Again, tasting to get the right balance of flavours.
9) Once baked, pull out your rolls and place onto kitchen paper to remove excess oil. Then enjoy them served with your sweet and sour Cranberry dipping sauce.